Climb 3 Piha Road - Category 2 Climb
Climb 4 KareKare Road - Category 3 Climb
Climb 5 Lone Kauri Road - Category 2 Climb
Climb 6 West Coast Road - Category 2 Climb
Climb 7 Albany Hill - Category 3 Climb
Climb 8 Mt Eden - Category 3 Climb

Route Info
Moutain Road -
=}Start:By the faded green letter box #60/the yellow - diamond sign which may be partially hidden by bush, approximately 200 metres after Hayes Road
=}Finish:End of Mountain Road (entrance onto Scenic Drive)
Scenic Drive-
=}Start:Opposite Waitakere Road
=}Finish:Lookout (over Auckland) at approx. 10.5km after start
Piha Road-
=}Start: Four Way Intersection between Beach Valley Road, Glenesk Road and Seaview Road; near yellow - diamond sign. At this intersection head up the hill on Seaview Road, which later becomes Piha Road
=}Finish:Top of climb at approx. 3 kms after start, by the letterbox #142
Karekare Road-
=}Start: after wooden, one lane bridge
=}Finish:Top of climb at the end of Karekare Road and entrance onto Piha Road
Lone Kauri Road-
=}Start: after bridge wooden bridge (not the same starting point as the Karekare Road climb)
=}Finish:Top of climb at approximately 7.1kms after start. This is about 100 metres after the partially concealed entrance to La Trobe Track, which is by the letterboxes #4, #6, #10, #26 etc. Unsure of whether the letter boxes are part of Lone Kauri Road or The La Trobe Track.
West Coast Road
=}Start: Opposite Kelly's Road
=}Finish:End of West Coast Road (entrance onto Scenic Drive) at the entrance onto Forest Hill Road/intersection turn left, continuing up the climb until Scenic Drive. At this point the road does not become Forest Hill Road, but continues as West Coast Road
Albany Hill
=}Start: Lucas Creek Albany Bridge on State Highway 17
=}Finish:Summit of the hill at approximately 2.5km , where the passing lane merges into one lane, by the yellow - diamond sign indicating this.
Mt Eden
=}Start: Corner of Mt Eden Road, by the public toilets
=}Finish: By the stairs leading up to the Trig at the summit
Note: At the roundabout follow the sign posted route to the summit, there is even the word "summit" with an arrow indicating the route. This route goes over a visible cattle stop right after the roundabout so there is no excuse if any one gets lost. Also near the summit, head towards the trig, by turning right which will take you to the summit.

Procedure:
=} Open to anyone. Simply time yourself for one or more of the above climbs and post your time in a reply.
=} The table is sorted by number of times, then rider rankings. Your ranking is calculated from your allocated KOM points (e.g the total number of riders who post their time per climb = the maximum number of KOM points allocatable per climb) and the overall average speed for all climbs if two or more riders have the same number of KOM points.
=} Times for this season are from 10 January 2010 - 10 September 2010.

=}Rules:
A registered time has to be in neutral conditions, i.e. no wind assistance or drafting. Rolling starts are allowed.

Climb Data -
Climb Data.JPG

Route Maps-
Moutain Road - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26921794
Scenic Drive - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26922038
Piha Road - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26922570
Karekare Road - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26922298
Lone Kauri Road - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27484382
West Coast Road - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26922392
Albany Hill - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26921958
Mt Eden - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26921600

Watch this Space - Southern Auckland (Bombay's/Hunua's) Leaderboard to come in late March
Last edited by climber101 on Sun 6/Feb/11 8:08pm, edited 33 times in total.
climber101
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Auckland Road Climb - Leaderboard

Postby XCguy on Mon 10/Jan/11 5:24pm

Good on you climber101! Great to see another region doing the leaderboad thing :thumbsup:

I hope you get lots of enthusiastic followers like we do down here in Canterbury. Let the addictiveness begin :D
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Al_Bushman on Tue 11/Jan/11 11:43am

I shall follow this with interest! I get up to Auckland a fair bit for family reasons but don't usually take my bike. This will give me added incentive!
Al_Bushman
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby mfw on Tue 11/Jan/11 1:37pm

I am also following this with great interest, had a few chats with Climber101 behind the scenes - the big difference though was I fronted up with a full set of my (D-grade) times to kick things off - come on someone has to start with a show-and-tell :satan:

If you're not careful it will be the bushman when he is up from Chch as he was the first person to submit times to my board :love:

Auckland hillclimbers where are you :ib:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby climber101 on Tue 11/Jan/11 6:31pm

West Coast Road - 12:10
Mountain Road - 12:30
climber101

Postby climber101 on Thu 13/Jan/11 10:07am

Mt Eden 3:55
climber101

Postby krisis on Thu 13/Jan/11 6:31pm

Mt Eden 5:03

Wow, I thought i was a reasonably good climber - obviously still need to work on that!
krisis
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby climber101 on Thu 13/Jan/11 7:50pm

is ur time from the steeper side?
u don't need to work on ur bcos climbing mt eden in 5 minutes is still a pretty impressive time bcos of the cattle stops
climber101

Postby krisis on Thu 13/Jan/11 8:30pm

I followed your instructions, and went from Mt Eden Road and followed the road up to the trig. It was my first time up there on a bike - now I know the road, there's probably a few places I can improve. I think I could go a bit harder on the flatter sections without blowing up, and maybe next time I'll climb without my commuting pack on! (I was on my way home with the usual change of clothes in my bag, and decided to whip up the hill to set a time.)

I'm hoping to ride Scenic Drive on Saturday, so i'll post a time for that.
krisis

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 13/Jan/11 8:56pm

climber101 wrote:West Coast Road - 12:10
Mountain Road - 12:30

That’s very good :thumbsup: for Mountain Road. I know a guy who’s got up there in 12.24 – but he’s an ace hillclimber generally
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby climber101 on Thu 13/Jan/11 8:59pm

yeah good luck for that krisis scenic drives a lot harder than mt eden :crazy:
climber101

Postby climber101 on Thu 13/Jan/11 9:03pm

not my best time for mountain road could do a sub 11 mintues but i had already gone almost 100% up west coast rd and had too much lactate. will try and improve my time up west coast rd as well to 11:30
Rode out to waitaks from howick as well so that doesn't help my climbing either but its still good training
climber101

Postby krisis on Thu 13/Jan/11 9:37pm

Cheers, I am familiar with scenic drive, but usually ride it at a fairly relaxed pace. It'll be completely different trying to set a time. Hmm, now I need to think about where it rises and falls, and where you can recover ... can't wait til the weekend! :)
krisis

Postby climber101 on Fri 14/Jan/11 7:58am

am away till wednesday so keep posting times guys and will don't worry if the leaderboard is updated bcos i will do it when i come back
climber101

Postby Gravelrash on Fri 14/Jan/11 12:19pm

Mountain Road, 11:12
Gravelrash
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Upper North Island - Latest Posts