2009 Brake Burner Report + Provisional Results

Postby Tama on Sat 7/Feb/09 7:29pm

After spending the past couple of days hanging out at Coronet Peak for the build-up and execution of the 2009 Brake Burner I felt like having a good ole ramble about this event, because it rocks.

Entries to the third Brake Burner sold out in a couple of months, leaving lots of disappointed would be competitors. It certainly combines a whole bunch of elements which most riders would recognise as the best elements of mountain biking – sweeping alpine scenery from Coronet Peak, railing well built singletrack and a lot more downhill than uphill thanks to a chairlift uplift being a pivotal part of the course.

But anyone can rock up to Coronet Peak during their mountain bike season, buy a day pass, and ride all day long on the same tracks (I did the day before the Brake Burner and it was awesome) so there must be something else to the Brake Burner that keeps hundreds of riders making the annual pilgrimmage from all ends of the country.

I believe the answer lies in an observation I heard yesterday “It's like a reunion for middle-aged mountain bikers”. On face value this might not sound like a good thing - having just reached the age of 35 I'm feeling somewhat grizzled and creaky compared to the fresh faced groms in their Monster Energy tops, and many of the riders trailing dust down the mountain side at the Brake Burner are significantly older than me.

But here's the thing, the field at the Brake Burner contains a frankly impressive cross section of New Zealand mountain biking history; old school downhillers, world champions, elite cross country racers, trail builders, shop owners, event organisers, bike builders, distributors, club presidents, mechanics, media folk, and many many people who've been pedalling bikes in the dirt pretty much non stop for the past two decades.

Every year an unspoken urge draws us together on the slopes of Coronet Peak to ride singletrack, sift in the shade, compare bikes, catch up and reminsce about the old times. Quite simply the Brake Burner is a fantastic social event for passionate mountain bikers.

The event revolves around the novel idea of combining a “Super D” mainly downhill trail race with a 6 hour endurance event. Each lap involves a trip on the chairlift up to the top of Coronet Peak followed by a mainly downhill descent with a couple of climbs thrown in to keep everyone honest. There's a tent village at the bottom where team riders can swap duties relay style or solo riders can grab a bite to eat and a brief respite from the action.

Having sampled the joys of riding solo last year I can confirm that it's bloody exhausting, even considering the rest you get sitting on the chairlift the constant descending punctuated by steep hot climbs is one helluva work out for the body and mind. Most returning riders have gone for teams of two or three to share the load and make sure that their laps are things of joy rather than increasingly painful acts of self abuse.

The weather has been overcast and windy which some riders claimed was a blessing as much of the course was covered in thick dust this morning and the wind went someway towards clearing the clouds of dust off the track so riders could see where they were going.

Compared to last year the course was a bit kinder with the tent village in front of Coronet Peak's flash new service building instead of down in the carpark and all but one of the climbs rideable for most competitors. The major climb was wide with plenty of passing opportunities but definitely generated a high walk to ride ratio amongst the field. The serious athletes were mostly running adjustable seatposts as a strong rider willing to spin in the saddle could gain significant time on the big climb.

Gusty winds on the more exposed sections of the track also caused a bit of grief by breaking course marking tape but in general most riders will take overcast and breezy over clear, still and bakingly hot.

The upper end of the solo rider spectrum is a wonder to behold, with local Scotsman Paul Angus taking the gold with an impressive 17 laps, blowing past the rest of the field like he had brand new legs. With French downhill racer and ex Junior World Champion Emmeline Ragot dominating the women's field for 14 laps on a cross country hardtail.

New Zealand's bestest cross country racer Kashi Leuchs and that lovely lad Laurence Mote took out the hotly contested Men's Team a very slim 35 seconds in front of Jamie Tilbury and Tim Ceci from Vertigo Bikes.

PROVISIONAL RESULTS - top 10 places only

Solo Men

1.Paul Angus – 17 laps
2.Andy Reid – 16 laps
3.Karl Strode-Penny – 16 laps
4.Blair Christmas – 16 laps
5.Kurt Lancaster – 16 laps
6.Seb Kemp – 16 laps
7.Geoff Small – 16 laps
8.Zane Smith – 16 laps
9.Tim Mackersy – 16 laps
10.Scott Walker – 16 laps

Solo Women
1.Emmeline Ragot – 14 laps
2.Lisa Savage – 14 laps
3.Nikki Shaw – 14 laps
4.Rita Langley – 14 laps
5.Michelle Peterson – 12 laps
6.Caroline Moore – 12 laps
7.Anneliese Carlson – 12 laps
8.Laura Williamson – 10 laps
9.Emma Stead – 7 laps

Solo Vet Men
1.Doug Hamilton – 16 laps
2.Darryl MacFarlane – 15 laps
3.Willem Groenen – 14 laps
4.Purple – 13 laps
5.Mat Lewis – 13 laps
6.Murray Stark – 12 laps
7.Rob Whitaker – 11 laps
8.Ivan Grooby – 6 laps
9.Ross Mepham – 2 laps

Men's Team
1.Moose n Knuckle – 17 laps
2.Vertigo Bikes – 17 laps
3.Team Hammertron – 16 laps
4.Unhinged Ginge Part 2 – 16 laps
5.Searletech – 16 laps
6.NZRide.com – 16 laps
7.Dazzas Delux – 16 laps
8.Gone Burger 1 – 16 laps
9.FreerideNZ – 16 laps
10.Acoustic Motorbike – 15 laps

Women's Team
1.Queenstown Girls – 13 laps
2.Santa Cruz A Team – 13 laps

Mixed Team
1.Homebuilt Goldfield – 15 laps
2.Blue Shark – 15 laps
3.GT Museum – 14 laps
4.Pinned Practitioners – 14 laps
5.2sheep and a Bear - 14 laps
6.Inertia – 14 laps
7.Thrill Me Kill Me – 13 laps
8.Crash 'n' Burn – 12 laps

Vet Team
1.Skids Are For Kids – 16 laps
2.Menace2 – 15 laps
3.Sonar6 – 14 laps
4.Menace1 – 14 laps
5.NZMTBR Pimp My Ride – 14 laps
6.Team Road Trip – 13 laps
7.Lucky Sods – 9 laps
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: 2009 Brake Burner Report + Provisional Results

Postby Stun on Sat 7/Feb/09 8:24pm

Zane takes 8th. Nice work!
Stun
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby specializedman on Sat 7/Feb/09 10:17pm

Anybody know the reasoning why Geoff small appears to have been given a 1 lap penalty?

He tells me he was winning by over 5 mins and then the organizers penalized him for something and he wasn't told what!
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Sat 7/Feb/09 10:39pm

Karl Strode-Penny wtf??? Cycle Services represent yo! :cool:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby integral on Sun 8/Feb/09 12:09am

specializedman wrote:Anybody know the reasoning why Geoff small appears to have been given a 1 lap penalty?

He tells me he was winning by over 5 mins and then the organizers penalized him for something and he wasn't told what!

I think it had something to do with Geoff having a couple of mechanicals ( 1 broken chain and 1 Puncture) and how he dealt with them. The word cheating was mentioned but I guess that is unfounded and only he would know for sure
integral
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby dented on Sun 8/Feb/09 7:20am

Top 4 solo women on 14 laps. Well done Rita!
dented

Postby specializedman on Sun 8/Feb/09 7:21am

integral wrote:
specializedman wrote:Anybody know the reasoning why Geoff small appears to have been given a 1 lap penalty?

I think it had something to do with Geoff having a couple of mechanicals ( 1 broken chain and 1 Puncture) and how he dealt with them. The word cheating was mentioned but I guess that is unfounded and only he would know for sure

:huh:

interesting...
Thanks for your insight!
specializedman

Postby tec on Sun 8/Feb/09 7:34am

geoff broke a chain on lap 2 and swapped bikes, then punctured near the top around lap 4. Paul passed him and gave it everything for a lap (20mins of hard work) trying to gain an advantage over the pure machine smally is.....however when pangus got to the bottom Geoff was there all fixed up....!!! Paul was carrying a back pack to fix his own stuff, not cut out a lap and change bikes....thats push bike racing, and a brave call was made by Greg the organiser.
The irony is that if geoff had carried a tube and fixed it quickly its possible he could still have beaten Paul. Think as its now super competitive and people are training hard for this event Greg needs to state some Rules to be listened to.....ie: start n finish on same bike and fix your own stuff,,,,,simple.....bring on next yr...
Last edited by tec on Sun 8/Feb/09 10:39am, edited 2 times in total.
tec
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Jim on Sun 8/Feb/09 10:26am

tec wrote: Think as its now super competitive and people are training hard for this event Greg needs to state some Rules to be listened too.....ie: start n finish on same bike and fix your own stuff,,,,,simple.....bring on next yr...

Nah, in my opinion if you want to swap bikes or get someone else to fix it fine, but once you are on the hill the only way down should be via the course, not the chairlift.
Jim
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby marvinfrank on Sun 8/Feb/09 11:35am

good shit pang-man, & won using one of those "cheap & nasty" dropper seatposts from t0rped0 7 too, :)
marvinfrank
"never let the truth get in the way of destroying someone's reputation"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby specializedman on Sun 8/Feb/09 1:20pm

Yeah Geoff should have fixed his own bike, sounds like he would still have won.

He is an amazing rider, I learnt a lot riding with him at Rotorua in Recember.
specializedman

Postby chainsaw on Sun 8/Feb/09 4:53pm

Massive props to Pangus and all the Vertigo lads who entered. Unfortunatley for Tim that is now 2 titles he has failed to defend this summer!! :) All joking aside congratulations to all who entered and completed the race. Definatley need to get in for next year. Now Queenstown is about to be gripped with "Week of Wonder" fever. Bring it on!!
chainsaw
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby radiusq on Sun 8/Feb/09 7:37pm

I've just got back from QT. What an awesome event! The track was wicked - it literally had everything, and apart from the big climb (or push), I loved every inch of it. The event itself was really well organized, and the atmosphere throughout the day was just fantastic.

I did however make the mistake of riding solo, and my fitness level just wasn't up to it. After the 4th lap I was already pretty much fux0r3d. I took a break, had something to eat, recovered a bit and soldiered on. I dunno how many laps I did, I just hope I didn't come last:)

Props to Zane and any other Vorbers who were able to be competitive. The 6hr solo race is a unique endurance event. Because of the technical nature and speed of the course, mental fatigue was an absolute no-no, and although you could get a bit of a rest on the chair, to be quick for 6hrs non-stop is really impressive. I've ran marathons, and found yesterday's race to be way tougher - I think it was the mental concentration that made it so difficult.

I'll be back as a team entrant next year for sure!
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby scatter on Sun 8/Feb/09 7:41pm

I almost threw my toys after the first lap but now, 13 laps later, I can't wait til next year :thumbsup:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Percy Pig on Sun 8/Feb/09 8:01pm

scatter wrote:I almost threw my toys after the first lap but now, 13 laps later, I can't wait til next year :thumbsup:

Nice one chick!! :thumbsup:

I have started saving already, so hopefully I dont brake myself before then! :cry:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Coronet Peak | Cycling | Event Reports | Event Results | Events | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Otago | Queenstown | Regions - Latest Posts