Re: 2009 Brake Burner Report + Provisional Results

Postby mudguard on Mon 9/Feb/09 1:50pm

How many minutes for the uplift?
mudguard
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Mon 9/Feb/09 2:19pm

Percy Pig wrote:
scatter wrote:I almost threw my toys after the first lap but now, 13 laps later, I can't wait til next year :thumbsup:

Nice one chick!! :thumbsup:

I have started saving already, so hopefully I dont brake myself before then! :cry:

yes, I'd highly recommend that and also checking you have no friends/relatives inconsiderate enough to get married that weekend! :sly:
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 9/Feb/09 2:36pm

Tinkerbell wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:
scatter wrote:I almost threw my toys after the first lap but now, 13 laps later, I can't wait til next year :thumbsup:

Nice one chick!! :thumbsup:

I have started saving already, so hopefully I dont brake myself before then! :cry:

yes, I'd highly recommend that and also checking you have no friends/relatives inconsiderate enough to get married that weekend! :sly:

It would be fair to say that the first weekend of February was out for our wedding, with the Brake Burner being one of the reasons
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Jono on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:42pm

Yeah - you were looking good even in the last hour. I didn't really get my steam on until the last half of the race - probably 9 days of riding beforehand took it out of me - and my 9th lap (which just happened to be my fastest for our 2 man team) didn't count as I started with 2 minutes left of six hours, but hell was it fun.

Cheers geoff from Fat-tyre!
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Jono on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:44pm

mudguard wrote:How many minutes for the uplift?

About 7 or 8, from memory. I was doing pretty consistent 23 minute laps, and when I convinced my team-mate that double laps were the business, the lift up was a good chance to rest.
Jono

Postby scatter on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:48pm

Jono wrote:Yeah - you were looking good even in the last hour. I didn't really get my steam on until the last half of the race - probably 9 days of riding beforehand took it out of me - and my 9th lap (which just happened to be my fastest for our 2 man team) didn't count as I started with 2 minutes left of six hours, but hell was it fun.

Cheers geoff from Fat-tyre!

Yeah, my 13th lap didn't count either it appears. Strange cos I'm sure that it was supposed to be 6 hours plus one lap (which is exactly what it says on the website....did I interpret it wrong? :eh: )
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Jono on Mon 9/Feb/09 5:12pm

scatter wrote:Thanks :blush:

Yeah, my 13th lap didn't count either it appears. Strange cos I'm sure that it was supposed to be 6 hours plus one lap (which is exactly what it says on the website....did I interpret it wrong? :eh: )

Yeah - they're not exactly clear about how it works. My understanding is that it's six hours exactly for each competitor/team. So if the start was at 10am, and you got on the lift at 10:15 (because you're at the back of the queue or whatever), then all your completed laps up to 4:15pm count. If you get back at 4:16, the last lap doesn't count.

There was no way that I was going to finish a lap in 2 minutes, but it was fun to get a final blast down the hill.

The best thing that I took away from the race; learning that on loose, off camber stuff, I can just let go of the brakes and lean the bike over, and it'll rail out. There were several places where this was helpful on the course - those two downhill sections after the pond, and the bottom of the track next to the lift.

Oh, and catching up with everyone, of course :)
Jono

Postby radiusq on Mon 9/Feb/09 6:06pm

Full results are now up on the http://www.brakeburner.co.nz website - I didn't win, but neither did I lose:) Fun, fun event! I can't wait to do this again next year (as a team entrant though).
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Deeboy on Mon 9/Feb/09 7:34pm

what a cool race. My team mate & i were totally unprepared but what fun...Like someone said here, after my third or fourth lap i was ready to quit, but from there on it got better & better. It ready does make me feel old, with all those fit people around.
Plus it doesn't help being the first to stack badly on the double in front of everyone, on the first lap :rolleyes: overly keen punter was i....

Cheers to all that ran the show. A wonderful day was had :thumbsup:
Deeboy

Postby Deeboy on Mon 9/Feb/09 7:35pm

oh & more photos please....220 or 221 if you have any :D
Deeboy

Postby smally on Mon 9/Feb/09 10:36pm

tec wrote:geoff broke a chain on lap 2 and swapped bikes, then punctured near the top around lap 4. Paul passed him and gave it everything for a lap (20mins of hard work) trying to gain an advantage over the pure machine smally is.....however when pangus got to the bottom Geoff was there all fixed up....!!! Paul was carrying a back pack to fix his own stuff, not cut out a lap and change bikes....thats push bike racing, and a brave call was made by Greg the organiser.
The irony is that if geoff had carried a tube and fixed it quickly its possible he could still have beaten Paul. Think as its now super competitive and people are training hard for this event Greg needs to state some Rules to be listened to.....ie: start n finish on same bike and fix your own stuff,,,,,simple.....bring on next yr...

For those that care….
My chain wrapped itself and I was unable to free it so continued on a borrowed bike. On that lap Paul passed me by taking one of his sneaky short cuts through the tussocks. Later on this lap my tyre sidewall blew apart and most practical and feasible thing to do was to run the bike back down to base. This is where took “short cuts” to get down.
Once at the bottom, and back on my own bike I waited at base for Paul to get there so to take up place in the race again. For this I was penalised a lap, which I accept.

It’s a fun event, I’d hate it if there where rules for everything
smally
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Coronet Peak | Cycling | Event Reports | Event Results | Events | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Otago | Queenstown | Regions - Latest Posts