Re: 2009 Bike Prices Are Outrageous

Postby Spokes on Mon 9/Feb/09 10:49am

slidecontrol wrote:
Joel wrote:
Spokes wrote:
Roma wrote:
That sounds like a shop I went to (which I've been told none of the staff actually ride) they had just run out of run of the mill short valve road tubes but before I could walk out tried to convince me that their $20 super light latex tubes were in fact better because 'the lighter the tube, the more puncture resistant'. Aaaaaaah.

The sad part about that is that they were right. Latex tubes do resist puntures more. I worked for the Michy agent and we had a rep from them come out and show us how good they are. He got a standard tube and jammed a pen through it, did the same with Latex and it would not go through. Youve just got to pump them up more is all.......

Latex tubes are great!

+1 on the latex, they make the bike roll a tiny bit nicer too, lower CRR = less watts to pedal a given speed.

Ive found they do die after a few years, then they make great ties for holding things in the garden. They dont seem to break down in the sun. And best of all they are a cool green colour.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Mon 9/Feb/09 10:54am

Another latex fan here. :paranoid:

The reason they are routinely fitted inside tubulars is for their lower weight (and moment of inertia), but also because they are more supple than butyl tubes, hence able to withstand penetration better reducing punctures.

Although we all know tubs do (expensively) puncture, this is more due to the casing being lighter than the tube.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Mon 9/Feb/09 11:03am

oh, you mean latex as used with bikes.. i was meaning Latex in general applications :paranoid:
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby xcmtb on Mon 9/Feb/09 1:15pm

I sort of gave this topic a "meh" when I first saw it, but I've just realised... to get the latest version of my bike at retail is over 15k.... screw that... They're a nice bike, but I'll keep the one I have thanks.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby mudguard on Mon 9/Feb/09 1:37pm

xcmtb wrote:I sort of gave this topic a "meh" when I first saw it, but I've just realised... to get the latest version of my bike at retail is over 15k.... screw that... They're a nice bike, but I'll keep the one I have thanks.

What kind of bike do you have? I can't be bothered looking through your details, but that is a scary (presumably) retail!
mudguard
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 9/Feb/09 1:43pm

its got horselink, you get what you pay for
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby Nick_K on Mon 9/Feb/09 1:46pm

xcmtb wrote:I sort of gave this topic a "meh" when I first saw it, but I've just realised... to get the latest version of my bike at retail is over 15k.... screw that... They're a nice bike, but I'll keep the one I have thanks.

Wow, I hope its full xtr.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 9/Feb/09 1:49pm

Nick_K wrote:

Wow, I hope its full xtr.

only when all the chainring bolts are in place :p
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:17pm

Oli wrote:Another latex fan here. :paranoid:

able to withstand penetration better

:butbut: :cry: :crazy:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby specializedman on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:33pm

The new ones are full carbon with carbon cranks (Way lighter and stiffer than crappy old XTR!)

I still dont think they are worth the $13k they are advertised for in my LBS.
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:35pm

case and point.
13k for a bike, have people GONE FUCKN MAD!!
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:36pm

We can get one thats 16k.

Needless to say we havent bothered to stock one.
Spokes

Postby xcmtb on Mon 9/Feb/09 4:37pm

mudguard wrote:

What kind of bike do you have? I can't be bothered looking through your details, but that is a scary (presumably) retail!
S-Works Epic. Full XTR, don't know what the new ones are. All the chainring bolts have stayed in since they were noticed to be missing the first time.

>15k at the Speshy and Avanti shop in town.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby mudguard on Mon 9/Feb/09 7:33pm

specializedman wrote:I still like going to bike shops to talk to the good cunzors that work there.

And everybody thinks your a fag when you turn up to the shop organized mtb rides on a bike built entirely out of T7 parts-especially when your T7 shit breaks!

How exactly do your homophobic riding buddies decide that your XTR derailleur is from T7 or your local?

Is it because the money you saved enabled you to put gas in your car to drive to the trailhead?

There were online shops looonng before T7, beyondbikes, chainreactioncycles, jensonusa etc ad nauseam
mudguard
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 9/Feb/09 8:53pm

mudguard wrote:
How exactly do your homophobic riding buddies decide that your XTR derailleur is from T7 or your local?

The ones from your LBS still have there serial numbers. :lol:
Spokes

Bay of Plenty | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mount Maunganui | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts