Postby Oli on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:00am

I don't think so, really. He'd already been chucked off the Tour, so it's not like everyone didn't already know he was on the shit.

The general consensus even among the most cycnical of media seems to be that this Tour was the cleanest ever, and that the 4 doping cases are a good sign, in that they are specifically targeting the riders who are suspicious and catching them.

There also seems to be a view that there is definitely a culture shift happening, but only time will tell there.

I guess the only 2 out of 10 positive tests thing with Ricco is a bit of a worry, but they're getting there slowly...
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Joel on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:05am

Oli wrote: I don't think so, really. He'd already been chucked off the Tour, so it's not like everyone didn't already know he was on the shit.

The general consensus even among the most cycnical of media seems to be that this Tour was the cleanest ever, and that the 4 doping cases are a good sign, in that they are specifically targeting the riders who are suspicious and catching them.

There also seems to be a view that there is definitely a culture shift happening, but only time will tell there.

I guess the only 2 out of 10 positive tests thing with Ricco is a bit of a worry, but they're getting there slowly...

i thought he stood up and took it on the chin quite well, reading that meda release on cyclingnews.com

yes he is a cheater, but he at least showed some backbone about admitting it.. maybe there is some hope for him yet, when he comes back from his ban
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Joel on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:08am

McEwen to leave Silence-Lotto

http://www.velonews.com/article/81067/m ... ence-lotto

evidently signing with tinkoff
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Oli on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:09am

Yes, at least he seems to be talking about it now he's been up in front of Torres and CONI, but remember he has been denying it for three weeks - he could have come clean immediately, then Valverde and Efemkin could have been recognised as stage winners while the Tour was still going on...
Oli

Postby Joel on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:10am

no one is perfect. hard to admit your mistakes in the heat of the event.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Oli on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:13am

Will you ever stop being so damned reasonable??? The guy is a dirty cheat and should be damned for all eternity with no redemption. LIFETIME BANS FOR ALL OF THE CHEATERS!!! :angry:
Oli

Postby Joel on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:33am

BAN THEM !1!1!!?!

question i do have is; whats a good xc but trail bike?
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Ahad on Thu 31/Jul/08 9:08pm

Oli wrote: I don't think so, really. He'd already been chucked off the Tour, so it's not like everyone didn't already know he was on the shit.

...I guess the only 2 out of 10 positive tests thing with Ricco is a bit of a worry, but they're getting there slowly...

The truth is it seems, is that EPO is still notoriously difficult to detect. Was listening to some scientist/Dr involved in drug testing on RadioNZ about the Olympics, saying that in endurance events EPO use was still pretty rife .i.e: Cycling, although it gets such a bad rapp, is really no different to any other endurance sport.

Although the testers could be pretty positive that a certain athlete was on it, the level required to "prove" an athlete was on the EPO (i.e failed drug test) was still in a pretty narrow "result band", whatever that means...
So, many athletes on EPO, even in Olympic events, still get away with it... bastards!
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby dhroadie on Fri 1/Aug/08 10:04am

I read a good interview with Ricco in the French media yesterday, basically saying he was clean during the Giro but he was so tired afterwards, and wanted to do the Tour so badly, that he needed drugs to compete. I'll post it if anyone's interested in picking through the French...
dhroadie
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby musket on Fri 1/Aug/08 10:06am

That's interesting - they're going to retest his Giro samples, so we'll see.
musket
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby dhroadie on Fri 1/Aug/08 3:48pm

Not really a fan of the retesting myself. The cynical side of me sees it as a "We're gonna test them and test them until we find something, because we're sure you have to be guilty of something."
I say, if he didn't fail the Giro tests, and he says he was clean for it, then let them be. Punish him on the evidence you have, which is the positive tests from the Tour.
dhroadie
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 1/Aug/08 11:23pm

Someone needed to learn his tour history. What to do if a Spaniard puts in a brutal attack on a climb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Wj6P2hyic

I still get shivers when hearing Phil Liggets commentary of Roche's amazing comeback.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts