1974 Raleigh Carlton International Restoration

Postby Brokendown on Mon 18/Jul/11 6:54pm

I was just at the dump and saw a 1974 Raleigh Carlton International in stunning orange going to rust. Was hoping to restore it back to some of its former glory. So was just wondering if anyone has any Ideas where I could find the some good starting out information regarding this sort of thing. Apart from a small dent in the top tube and surface rust shouldn't be any dramas cleaning it up just have no idea on find parts and stuff.

Stuff written for an incompetent boob would be preferable.
Brokendown
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Where To Begin

Postby neels on Mon 18/Jul/11 7:58pm

Is it a complete bike, or just a frame?
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Where To Begin

Postby sifter on Mon 18/Jul/11 10:00pm

I'd start by choosing a better thread title e.g. "1974 Raleigh Carlton International restoration" and maybe cross-post in the bike mechanics thread...
sifter
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: 1974 Raleigh Carlton International Restoration

Postby Oli on Mon 18/Jul/11 11:15pm

It's a "how long is a piece of string" question. Without pictures or a better idea of it's condition, some idea of what parts you might need, some idea of whether you just want to get it rolling or fully restore it, it's very hard to know where to begin.

*How well do you want to restore it?

*Are the bearings (hub, b/b and headset) sound, or will they need servicing (assuming none of them aren't corroded in place and/or unserviceable)? If it's just a matter of tyres, cables and brake blocks it should all be easy-peasy. Once you get into things like worn bearings, chains and cogs it gets way trickier.

*Are the wheels ok?

*Does the dent need to be removed?

*Will you need it painted?

*How capable are you if the mechanical stuff needs doing, or will you need to pay a shop to do stuff?

It sounds like a great bike to consider sorting out if you can, but really you need someone who knows plenty to actually look it over in person to assess it with all the above factors (and probably others I've left out) considered.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: 1974 Raleigh Carlton International Restoration

Postby sanspareil on Tue 19/Jul/11 8:41pm

Brokendown wrote:I was just at the dump and saw a 1974 Raleigh Carlton International in stunning orange going to rust. Was hoping to restore it back to some of its former glory. So was just wondering if anyone has any Ideas where I could find the some good starting out information regarding this sort of thing. Apart from a small dent in the top tube and surface rust shouldn't be any dramas cleaning it up just have no idea on find parts and stuff.

Stuff written for an incompetent boob would be preferable.

If you decide to renovate this bike and need a seat post, I have an original Gipiemme fluted alloy post, 26.8 but can be shimmed for any seat tube. Will be putting it on Tardme soon, pm me if interested.
sanspareil
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts