140mm Or 160mm Bike?

Postby WayneG on Sat 13/Sep/14 4:58pm

I'm in the market for a full suspension bike and can't decide if I should go for a 140mm or 160mm travel bike. I use to have a 2006 GT ID5 which was had just over 5" of rear travel and I would often bottom it out. I'm looking at a 27.5 wheeled bike, so would the larger wheels and newer geometry allow me to get away with a 140mm or should I be looking at the 160mm market? I want something I can ride to the top and than bomb down the hills as well as the odd shuttle days.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: 140mm Or 160mm Bike?

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 13/Sep/14 5:13pm

WayneG wrote: as well as the odd shuttle days.

Depending how often, I'd go for 160mm.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 13/Sep/14 7:04pm

Where do you ride and what grade trails?
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 13/Sep/14 7:15pm

Depends on the set up too. A well set up 140 is less likely to bottom out than a poorly set up 160. Different suspension designs make a difference too, but I'm too ignorant to express an opinion on that. Ride some demos and see what works for you.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Percy Pig on Sat 13/Sep/14 8:21pm

Never mind the question, the answer is moar travel!! :thumbsup:

If you are doing a few shuttle days then teh extra travel wont go amiss. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 13/Sep/14 8:30pm

Where do you predominantly ride? I believe a LOT of people out there are over biked. I'm having a HEAP of fun on a 140/125mm bike ATM
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby WayneG on Sat 13/Sep/14 8:49pm

I'm Whanganui based and most the riding around here my current bike (29er SS) is good for. But for some tracks around here and when riding in other areas like Wellington and central plateau gears and a fully would be way more fun. I'm after a bike for fun riding on days out and to help push my comfit levels.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"

Postby ape on Sat 13/Sep/14 8:57pm

shmoodiver wrote:Where do you predominantly ride? I believe a LOT of people out there are over biked. I'm having a HEAP of fun on a 140/125mm bike ATM

:withstupid:
90% of the time, the best answer to this question is less travel... and often hardtail :P...
in an under-biked situation:

you spend less time climbing, and more time going down
you spend less money buying/maintaining your bike, and more time riding it.
you crash just as often, but it hurts less because you're going slower.
ape
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby sweep on Sat 13/Sep/14 9:06pm

shmoodiver wrote: I believe a LOT of people out there are over biked.

I see it all the time on the trails, lots of people with more bike than they need. I think you are best to have a bike that suits the style of riding that you do most of the time. If people improve their skills I think they would be surprised at what some short travel bikes are capable of.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby sweep on Sat 13/Sep/14 9:17pm

Stay with a 29er, easier to change between the two. Depending on your budget I'd look at a Camber Evo or SB95.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby Farm on Sat 13/Sep/14 9:41pm

Split the difference, 150mm Santa Cruz Bronson?
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 14/Sep/14 7:03pm

You looking at buying a complete? or building something fruity up?

I would have thought to do the occasional run down the DH track at the other runs that tend to get shuttled down your way, maybe something like a Trance SX - 140mm rear with a burlier 160mm fork up the front.
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby WayneG on Sun 14/Sep/14 7:39pm

Looking at buying a complete bike am thinking of something like a Cannondale Trigger or Jekyll or maybe a Mondraker Foxy or Dune. As normal with me nothing common.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"

Postby kavika on Mon 15/Sep/14 7:05am

I am in the same boat, but going Nomad or SB5c. Thought Nomad would be far too much bike, but after speaking to Mike at Hyperformace, he told me not to bother with the Bronson, as did the guys up at Bike Culture
kavika
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Farm on Mon 15/Sep/14 7:56am

kavika wrote:I am in the same boat, but going Nomad or SB5c. Thought Nomad would be far too much bike, but after speaking to Mike at Hyperformace, he told me not to bother with the Bronson, as did the guys up at Bike Culture

What was the reasoning on not bothering with the Bronson? Just curious, both are more bike than I need.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts