Re: 140mm Or 160mm Bike?

Postby phunk on Mon 15/Sep/14 9:23am

The Nomad climbs as well if not better than the Bronson, and goes down better, so why not just go Nomad.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 15/Sep/14 12:04pm

I've never ridden a bronson, but the nomad definitely climbs like a 165mm stompy slack machine and makes flatter trails a lot less interesting. Sure, the seat tube angle and top tube length make it great for slogging up the hill and do compensate for the slack front end incredibly well, but I don't understand why everyone is saying it climbs like a shorter travel bike and is a replacement for a more nimble, playful thing. Trails I used to feel like I was riding "fast" on my reign X, I'm now pedalling harder and harder to get the same feeling from. It's an incredibly stable, fast machine that eats terrain. This might not be what you want.

The bike bobs a bit like you'd expect unless you use a climb setting on the shock (or in my case, increase the compression on my vivid), though it's good enough that I don't bother unless I'm going up a road. Compared to an sb66, the sb66 is a much better climber. A lot more responsive to input and as long as you've got the sb set up correctly, pedalling feels more separate from suspension than the nomad does. You can get away with longer cranks on the sb66 - I'm a big fan of 175mm cranks and felt like i was pretty good at technical climbing while avoiding pedal strike, but I've had to step down to 170mm cranks for better ground clearance. That'll make a difference to how bigger guys view the bike for climbing.

Pedalling up a smooth track without shock climb assist, the nomad feels like a similar amount of effort as my old reign x - but the difference in geometry and suspension design make it a lot more comfortable and more effective at clearing terrain. The reign x was too short and would snag the rear end on every bloody rock on the effin' trail. Depending on whether you want minimal pedalling effort or whether you want terrain clearing effectiveness decides how you view the nomad I guess. Personally I don't understand the comparison to shorter travel bikes. It's not better, it's just much different.

I'm being critical of the nomad, but really I frikken love the thing. It's AWESOME. I can understand how it could be too much bike for a lot of people or a lot of places though, so I think the above is worth saying.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 15/Sep/14 12:11pm

AgrAde wrote:I don't understand why everyone is saying it climbs like a shorter travel bike and is a replacement for a more nimble, playful thing.

Justification for buying a 160mm bike for 120mm trails.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby kavika on Mon 15/Sep/14 5:04pm

AgrAde wrote:I've never ridden a bronson, but the nomad definitely climbs like a 165mm stompy slack machine and makes flatter trails a lot less interesting. Sure, the seat tube angle and top tube length make it great for slogging up the hill and do compensate for the slack front end incredibly well, but I don't understand why everyone is saying it climbs like a shorter travel bike and is a replacement for a more nimble, playful thing. Trails I used to feel like I was riding "fast" on my reign X, I'm now pedalling harder and harder to get the same feeling from. It's an incredibly stable, fast machine that eats terrain. This might not be what you want.

The bike bobs a bit like you'd expect unless you use a climb setting on the shock (or in my case, increase the compression on my vivid), though it's good enough that I don't bother unless I'm going up a road. Compared to an sb66, the sb66 is a much better climber. A lot more responsive to input and as long as you've got the sb set up correctly, pedalling feels more separate from suspension than the nomad does. You can get away with longer cranks on the sb66 - I'm a big fan of 175mm cranks and felt like i was pretty good at technical climbing while avoiding pedal strike, but I've had to step down to 170mm cranks for better ground clearance. That'll make a difference to how bigger guys view the bike for climbing.

Pedalling up a smooth track without shock climb assist, the nomad feels like a similar amount of effort as my old reign x - but the difference in geometry and suspension design make it a lot more comfortable and more effective at clearing terrain. The reign x was too short and would snag the rear end on every bloody rock on the effin' trail. Depending on whether you want minimal pedalling effort or whether you want terrain clearing effectiveness decides how you view the nomad I guess. Personally I don't understand the comparison to shorter travel bikes. It's not better, it's just much different.

I'm being critical of the nomad, but really I frikken love the thing. It's AWESOME. I can understand how it could be too much bike for a lot of people or a lot of places though, so I think the above is worth saying.

This is why I am still undecided. Guys up in Rotorua are saying the Nomad climbs better than the SB66, which I thought climbed pretty well. I'm told the Bronson climbs better than the 66, yet the Nomad climbs just as well, if not better in some cases than the Bronson.
Some like the Nomad all round, while others say they struggle to keep traction on the front around flatter corners.
I'm not too worried about the speed I get up the hill, but want to still enjoy rides like Queen Charlotte Track, Rameka etc.
kavika
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 15/Sep/14 6:37pm

Not keeping traction on the front through flat corners is a riding style issue. You need to be in an aggressive, forward attack position otherwise the bike does not work. It's spat me a couple of times since I was so used to cornering with my feet on my reign x.

Rotorua is fad central. The sb66 descended like a plague on that place, despite the fact that it's really not the bike for everyone. (It is an amazing bike though). I'm sure the nomad is the new thing up there, despite it again not being the bike for everyone.

There's no getting around the travel. That's it. I know I have the vivid air compared to other builds with a less downhill oriented Monarch plus, but the vivid is very supportive, more tunable, and has quite an effective "climb mode" due to the easily accessable compression dial. I doubt the monarch is any better for ascending aside from the weight difference.

As an aside, the combination of the nomad with vivid air is truly great. I used to have to adjust shock pressures on my reign between riding DH tracks and riding more flowy, poppy, fun jump trails. Not so on the nomad. I can set it so it is responsive to pumping terrain, boosting jumps, but still attacks DH perfectly. I set up the bike initially on steep smash terrain, scrubbing all features, and proceeded to overshoot every thing as soon as I took it onto something where you just work the berms and pumps for speed for the jumps. Surprised the hell out of me.
Last edited by AgrAde on Mon 15/Sep/14 6:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgrAde

Postby kavika on Mon 15/Sep/14 6:43pm

Thanks for the feedback. May not be the bike for me, as I seem to struggle getting enough weight over the front as it is. At my age, I think I would struggle to change my bad habits any time soon.

Cheers,
Dave
kavika

Postby kavika on Thu 18/Sep/14 5:58pm

Well, after being in a similar position, I have ordered the SB5c over the Nomad. Intending to buy a longer travel bike next year, either Nomad or SB6c, but if this does all I require, I won't need to.
kavika

Postby AgrAde on Thu 18/Sep/14 9:08pm

Awesome, I'd love one to sit next to the nomad in my garage.
AgrAde

Postby kavika on Fri 19/Sep/14 6:48am

AgrAde wrote:Awesome, I'd love one to sit next to ye nomad in me garage.

I'm thinking the same about the Nomad sitting next to the Yeti. Must say, it was a tough call with which way to go
kavika

Postby AgrAde on Fri 19/Sep/14 10:47am

ye boi.
AgrAde

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts