10spd Chain Ring With 9spd Chain?

Postby JumpMonkey on Sat 27/Sep/14 4:05pm

Its time to replace my drivetrain and I want to swap my 36t chain ring for a 38t item (Im running a 2x 9spd setup). It seems most of the bigger tooth numbers are for DH or a 10spd setup. So...

-Can I run a 10spd chain ring with a 9spd chain?
-Will a DH chain ring still allow shifting of the chain to the granny ring and back?
JumpMonkey
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: 10spd Chain Ring With 9spd Chain?

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 27/Sep/14 7:18pm

Nah man. DH rings don't have shifting ramps so are made to NOT shift. Pretty sure you can get 38t rings with shifting ramps though? I'm 1x all the way.

Also, I'd be more concerned with how well a 9speed chain would work with a 10speed cassette. I couldn't tell you cos I only run 9 speed... But I'd say it's wouldn't be ideal...
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 27/Sep/14 7:20pm

Soz as. Didn't notice that you run 9 speed. Pretty sure 9 speed chain'll be sweet as on the 10 speed chain ring....
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby neels on Sat 27/Sep/14 7:54pm

On my roadie so maybe not completely relevant.....

I'm running a 10spd crankset with 9spd everything else with no problems so far.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby JumpMonkey on Sat 27/Sep/14 8:22pm

I'm thinking the same as you guys. Couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work and thought if it was a big no no someone would've said. Ta.
JumpMonkey
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 27/Sep/14 9:39pm

A 9 speed chain is fine with a 10s chain ring.
What size, brand and exact model is your inner ring, and how worn is it and the cassette and chain? It may save a lot of trouble to buy a matched pair of front rings if you can't verify compatibility with your existing inner.

Matched pairing:
Modern chainrings are made as sets, with unpredictable results from mixing them up.
Matching is more important when you increase the difference in ring sizes, as you are.

A mechanic might already know some unapproved combinations that do or don't work.
Sometimes rotating an unapproved pairing can help. (If your inner is "wrong" for the big ring then you may as well rotate it 90 degrees to start with, just to even out the wear).

Chainwheel spacing. Shimano roadies use a constant big ring position for all speeds and move the teeth of the inner ring outwards to work with narrower chains. (For 7s - 10s v1 road gear that is. I dunno about MTB or more recent stuff).
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts