Re: 1080 Any Good?

Postby charliehopkins on Thu 27/Aug/09 9:34pm

xcwander wrote:Remember trapping has also been shown to have a portion of wrongful culls, injury rather than death, doesn't scale to huge areas and has a reasonably high accident rate with those setting the traps. Agree can be very useful on areas bounding Famrland etc, but its a highly labour intensive, unskilled low paid job. Exactly what this country DOESN'T need more of. And while 40 yrs ago you might have found a ready pool on NZdr's who would go do this, as a country we've changed far more urbanised. Its hard enough finding teachers, police, Dr to work in rural towns, now you want trappers, probably over a 1000 to cover all of NZ, who will have to sometimes over night in the bush and earn even less.......Its a job and method that is from another era.

Also the moment you give a pest a positive ecnomic value, you change it from a pest to a resource that needs to be sustainably managed. What happens when you cull an area out by 90%. Do you now tell these people of you no longer have a job, go retrain, but what happens in 5 yrs when the number of possums build up again, but all the trappers have found other jobs. You can't build a long term business when the stated aim is the eradication of your primary resource, "Sustainable management" is not an acceptable solution, especially when you're then get lobbying of govt that this is now a commercial resource, employs people, and the cost benefit says that a few trees and birds is ok if it keeps the possum fur business going and trappers employed. Its exactly the reason you will never see trout classed as a pest in NZ even though they are introduced and decimated the native fish species.

Then there's the issue of animal fur and the diminishing world market. A paint bomb throwing anti fur activist isn't going to ask first "oh is that sustainable NZ possum fur there" before throwing a bag of paint at some very expensive NZ Fur coat.

man makes a point
charliehopkins
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby sherdforlife on Thu 27/Aug/09 9:41pm

fuck yeah.
sherdforlife
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Spokes on Thu 27/Aug/09 9:43pm

charliehopkins wrote:
introduced is intorduced

:lol: No its not.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby thelongwalk on Thu 27/Aug/09 9:55pm

Jim wrote:
thelongwalk wrote:Now I have to admit to being a bit biased about this subject.
But I have killed thousands of possums with me hammer and they kept coming back.
So, personally, I would 1080 the whole country. Playgrounds, shopping malls, the lot.
And yes we would have some collateral damage including the odd dog and small child, but the greater good would prevail.

When are you going to be out Nui digging?

I would vote for ya as well.

yeah, I like the look of the photos from wainui, definetly could learn from you.
But we've started digging the new track in polhill, brooklyn, going to be a long one, and doing probably 10 hrs a week on it at the mo. So no time, but plan to be out there at some point.
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Jim on Thu 27/Aug/09 9:57pm

No worries. Any track building is good building.
Jim
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Gorse on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:15pm

I killed a cat last night, on my bike. No 1080 involved. Maybe Doc should drop bikes on possums
Gorse
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby sherdforlife on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:18pm

Gorse wrote:I killed a cat last night, on my bike. No 1080 involved. Maybe Doc should drop bikes on possums

you fucking arsehole
sherdforlife

Postby Yogi on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:26pm

charliehopkins wrote:They’re killing thousands of birds and other forest dwellers and that film is very accurate and correct.

Can you back this statement up?.... no you can't. Good work Charlie.
Yogi
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby sherdforlife on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:30pm

Yogi wrote:
charliehopkins wrote:They’re killing thousands of birds and other forest dwellers and that film is very accurate and correct.

Can you back this statement up?.... no you can't. Good work Charlie.

ive spent hundreds of hours in the bush and never have i come across a carcass of an animal killed by 1080 as the film segests the bush is literd with them.
sherdforlife

Postby scatter on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:37pm

charliehopkins wrote:have you heard of the sterile possum virus. that is the way to go and i really want that

Cos the rabbit calicivirus went soooo well :rolleyes:

Viruses ain't the answer.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby SlackBoy on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:42pm

scatter wrote:
charliehopkins wrote:have you heard of the sterile possum virus. that is the way to go and i really want that

I blame the scientists. It's always their fault
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby sherdforlife on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:43pm

SlackBoy wrote:
scatter wrote:

blame the aussies.
sherdforlife

Postby SlackBoy on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:44pm

sherdforlife wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
scatter wrote:

blame the aussies.
Nope Scientists and Gromms
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby scatter on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:46pm

SlackBoy wrote:
sherdforlife wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
scatter wrote:

blame the aussies.

BLAIM UR MOM!
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby sherdforlife on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:48pm

scatter wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
sherdforlife wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
scatter wrote:

blame the aussies.

BLAIM UR MOM!

no its the aussies they under armed them bloody possoms over here in the first place
sherdforlife

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts