Re: 1080 Any Good?

Postby Kevin Hague on Mon 23/Nov/09 8:53pm

There is some really interesting and quite promising research going into new methods of killing possums that don't pose risks to non-target animals. As they are marsupials, some of their physiological systems work different ways, so it may be possible to kill only them, leaving everything else unharmed. In the meantime I'm in favour of investing extra $$$ into ground-control methods where this is feasible (lowland and forest fringe) but continued use of 1080 as a "last resort" in inaccessible areas. When people are thinking about non-target animals it's really important to bear in mind that toxicity is highly specific to the particular animal ingesting it. Birds are relatively less harmed by the stuff than possums are (though I accept that some birds are killed, and I'm particularly worried about kaka, kea and weka) and it's a lot less toxic for weta, for example.

There is also a new trap called a Henry Trap that is being modified for possums (currently rats and stoats) that uses a gas cylinder to reset, making trapping a much more useful pest control method that could feasibly really make a dent in animal pest populations (and the animal pests themselves of course)
Kevin Hague
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 23/Nov/09 8:57pm

Kevin Hague wrote:There is some really interesting and quite promising research going into new methods of killing possums that don't pose risks to non-target animals. As they are marsupials, some of their physiological systems work different ways, so it may be possible to kill only them, leaving everything else unharmed. In the meantime I'm in favour of investing extra $$$ into ground-control methods where this is feasible (lowland and forest fringe) but continued use of 1080 as a "last resort" in inaccessible areas. When people are thinking about non-target animals it's really important to bear in mind that toxicity is highly specific to the particular animal ingesting it. Birds are relatively less harmed by the stuff than possums are (though I accept that some birds are killed, and I'm particularly worried about kaka, kea and weka) and it's a lot less toxic for weta, for example.

There is also a new trap called a Henry Trap that is being modified for possums (currently rats and stoats) that uses a gas cylinder to reset, making trapping a much more useful pest control method that could feasibly really make a dent in animal pest populations (and the animal pests themselves of course)
Take your balanced and sensible, well informed views elsewhere buddy, only ill informed polemic please!!!

What about pigs, goats and deer pests? :bait*:

*fnar,fnar...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 23/Nov/09 8:58pm

They should genetically modify some kickass predator to sort out the possums, like a werestoat.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 23/Nov/09 9:01pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:They should genetically modify some kickass predator to sort out the possums, like a werestoat.
I reckon they should do a jurassic park with Haasts eagle, a super people eating eagle, perhaps splice it with a kea and you'd have the answer to Chch and other pest problems...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 24/Nov/09 12:15pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:They should genetically modify some kickass predator to sort out the possums, like a werestoat.

um... thats why we have stoats ferrets and weasels now... nz got a rabbit plague back in the late 1800's so to try to do something about it they imported some "kickass predator"s of the rabbit, who got here and found nz native birds and insects FAR more fun.

i like the idea of a sterilising sexually transmitted disease... possum's've gotta bonk, right, and when they do, they spread a disease that makes them sterile... no more baby possums, no more possums in the future. trouble with possums, is they are a relatively disease free critter, and hardly even have a good predator themselves in Aussie... its mainly habitat loss thats knocking them off them over there.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Tue 24/Nov/09 12:26pm

swtchbckr wrote:

um... thats why we have stoats ferrets and weasels now... nz got a rabbit plague back in the late 1800's so to try to do something about it they imported some "kickass predator"s of the rabbit, who got here and found nz native birds and insects FAR more fun.

Really? I did not know that.

Anyway, I think some kind of genetically modified hybrid of a werewolf and a stoat is clearly the way to go here. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby thorg on Tue 24/Nov/09 12:32pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

Anyway, I think some kind of genetically modified hybrid of a werewolf and a stoat is clearly the way to go here. :)
Twihard.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 24/Nov/09 1:24pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

yeah, cos the 'were' part could still have some kinda 'human' sensibilities, and wouldnt target native species!!!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby znomit on Tue 10/Mar/15 6:28pm

Bump
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 10/Mar/15 8:23pm

I don't understand why the Green party or any other political party thinks it is competent to get into the detailed methods of possum control and native species bykill.

Research on how to kill possums, how much damage possums do, how much collateral damage is done to native species etc is all done by the Forest Research Institute, with funding from MORST or whatever it is called now.

Targeting priority and selection of methods is done by the Dept of Conservation, using the science from FRI.

The govt funds the whole lot and can set policy objectives, but trying to micromanage the mechanics of it is as weird as the govt deciding that roading crews should be using shovels 2" longer or shorter. It's just not the sort of thing a govt would have an informed opinion on.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Tue 10/Mar/15 8:35pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:The govt funds the whole lot and can set policy objectives, but trying to micromanage the mechanics of it is as weird as the govt deciding that roading crews should be using shovels 2" longer or shorter. It's just not the sort of thing a govt would have an informed opinion on.

I heard the government will shortly be banning hammers with heads smaller than 100mm diameter.

You'll be able to get a special permit for ball peens though.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 10/Mar/15 8:56pm

Tugboat wrote:I want some 1080s....

...the Zipp ones that is. :paranoid:

1080s suck balls, better of with 808fc or some HEDs
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 10/Mar/15 9:00pm