Re: 1080 Any Good?

Postby Gorse on Thu 27/Aug/09 10:51pm

sherdforlife wrote:
Gorse wrote:I killed a cat last night, on my bike. No 1080 involved. Maybe Doc should drop bikes on possums

you fucking arsehole

Meh, I didn't request it to make a suicidal dash through my wheels at 65km. Did feel for the critter though...
Gorse
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby CyaNIDe on Fri 28/Aug/09 9:28am

Even though Jim is pro 1080, his point of a combination of less poisoning and more trapping is the way to go. As I have debated in this thread, I am anti 1080. But I understand why it is used. My point of view is we must put the effort into finding an alternative. We can sit here with our heads in the sand saying that there isnt one, or we can do the research, and find one.

The issue about possumns verus Deer is a typical pro 1080 stance. The reason that hunters do not like 1080 to kill deer, is that hunters enjoy controlling deer numbers through hunting. Yes we do see it as a resource, and Yes we do like to shoot and recover the animals ourselves. Hunting animals not only controls the deer numbers in an area, but it also provides food for many families. Sure, hunters will never kill off all the deer, as then we would have nothing to shoot, but neither does 1080. Nor does any eradication method that is financially sustainable.
CyaNIDe
"What do you mean my wheel is buckled............?"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby thorg on Fri 28/Aug/09 9:51am

there is huge effort in finding other alternatives - hunting is not one (kill rate far lower, and more expensive many time over. 1000 hunters would not make a dent in south westland. with possum fur reaching $100 per kg there are still not enough people in the industry to even dent the easy to access populations). Viral creates more problems than it solves. Other poisons are just more poisons into the envoronment. even GE/GM stuff is being researched.

1080 is used on less than 3% of DOC land annually. All the rest of the control is by other poisons/trapping. Currently there is no other option that gives even remotly the same as, let alone better, kill per $. Less than 10% of doc land has activly managed predator control - wellington district health board budget for 1 month is more than DOC's annual budget, and only a small portion of that is pest control. these are teh realities of pest control in NZ. We either find hundreds of millions to use other methods, or we are stuck with 1080 - the necessary evil.

What can be done is use it better. many people trot out examples of 1080 use inteh 70's, when it really was BAD! ariel drops of cereal bait flavoured like berries FFS. No wonder it had the effect it did. Current ops are far more effective for a fraction of the toxin. And it gets better every year.

I used to hunt, dont anymore. I'm anti 1080 - but fully support its controlled use. I've run out my share of trap lines, and know that trapping will never control possum numbers in NZ.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 28/Aug/09 5:16pm

1080 is maing. Anyone that disagrees is welcome to hold a referendum on the issue :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Fri 28/Aug/09 5:22pm

znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby herbman on Fri 28/Aug/09 7:34pm

scatter wrote:
charliehopkins wrote:have you heard of the sterile possum virus. that is the way to go and i really want that

Cos the rabbit calicivirus went soooo well :rolleyes:

Viruses ain't the answer.

as a person who has lived in the area from before it was cut lose to now, i would say that it has done a rather good job of dealing to a few rabbits but it was never going to be the be all and end all of the rabbits in central otago, just like 1080 is not the magic bullet for possuim control but they are great tools that can be used along side other control methods.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 28/Aug/09 7:56pm

j2hyde wrote:1080 is maing. Anyone that disagrees is welcome to hold a referendum on the issue :)

is maing good or bad? :eh:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby mark2c on Fri 28/Aug/09 7:57pm

Is 1080p high definition pseudoephedrine?
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 28/Aug/09 9:58pm

slidecontrol wrote:
j2hyde wrote:1080 is maing. Anyone that disagrees is welcome to hold a referendum on the issue :)

It's way better than just good. So awesome it makes the shizzle from the hizzle look like a gay canadian mountie with a hitler moustache.
j2hyde

Postby onyabike on Mon 23/Nov/09 12:06pm

riding on saturday
1080zone.jpg
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 23/Nov/09 2:05pm

j2hyde wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:

It's way better than just good. So awesome it makes the shizzle from the hizzle look like a gay canadian mountie with a hitler moustache.

No maing, maing is bad bol.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 23/Nov/09 5:43pm

You're pretty keen on those mounties aren't you? I know those polished brass buttons and starched red jackets are hard to resist but out of respect for all that is good and decent, do the right thing, keep your hands off the mountie.
j2hyde

Postby SCRAPPy DOo on Mon 23/Nov/09 5:57pm

My partners dog died from eating a 1080 poisoned carcass that had been sitting for quite a while, so it obviously has a considerable residual risk.[/quote]

Dogs in native forests are as much a pest as possums or stoats. Therefore the 1080 poison is doing an extremely good job!
SCRAPPy DOo
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 23/Nov/09 6:44pm

The residue only exists inside of carcasses that have died of 1080 poisoning. Under "normal" conditions a 1080 bait breaks down and looses toxicity in 4-6 days. Also dogs are particularly susceptible to 1080, more so than other mammals of the same size. Allegedly.
j2hyde

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 23/Nov/09 8:39pm

thorg wrote:there is huge effort in finding other alternatives - hunting is not one (kill rate far lower, and more expensive many time over. 1000 hunters would not make a dent in south westland. with possum fur reaching $100 per kg there are still not enough people in the industry to even dent the easy to access populations). Viral creates more problems than it solves. Other poisons are just more poisons into the envoronment. even GE/GM stuff is being researched.

1080 is used on less than 3% of DOC land annually. All the rest of the control is by other poisons/trapping. Currently there is no other option that gives even remotly the same as, let alone better, kill per $. Less than 10% of doc land has activly managed predator control - wellington district health board budget for 1 month is more than DOC's annual budget, and only a small portion of that is pest control. these are teh realities of pest control in NZ. We either find hundreds of millions to use other methods, or we are stuck with 1080 - the necessary evil.

What can be done is use it better. many people trot out examples of 1080 use inteh 70's, when it really was BAD! ariel drops of cereal bait flavoured like berries FFS. No wonder it had the effect it did. Current ops are far more effective for a fraction of the toxin. And it gets better every year.

I used to hunt, dont anymore. I'm anti 1080 - but fully support its controlled use. I've run out my share of trap lines, and know that trapping will never control possum numbers in NZ.

Couldnt have put most of this better myself. bloody good post thorg.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts